Anthropology 320: Public Spheres and Public Cultures
Instructor: Christopher Kelty
Time: MW(F) 11:00 - 12:20
Place: Wiess 146
* = Response paper (Group 1)
# = Response paper (Group 2)
- week 1. Introduction (readings are due on the day they are listed)
- Mon. Jan. 8th: Introduction, What is a public and is it in crisis?
- Wed. Jan. 10th: Introduction: Habermas p. 1-26. Alastair Hannay, "ThePublic" p. 1-25.
- week 2. Diagnosis and Basic Structure
- Mon. Jan. 15th: No Class, MLK day.
- *Wed. Jan. 17th: Habermas 27-88. Selections from Addison and Steele. This pdf contains a selection of entries in the Tatler and the Spectator, peruse a few entries to get a sense of form and content. Suggestions: #1, #116, #217, #10, #41 #57, #66.
- week 3. Idea and Ideology, Argument and Opinion
- Mon. Jan. 22nd: Kant, "What is Enlightenment?" (online | pdf); Habermas, 89-117.
- #Wed. Jan. 24th: Habermas, 117-140.
- week 4. Publics in America
- week 5. Phantom Publics and Great Communities Visit from Bruno Latour
- Mon. Feb. 5th: Dewey, Chapters 3,4. Introduction to Making Things Public,
- #Wed. Feb. 7th: Dewey, Chapters 5,6.
- week 6. Disintegration.
- Mon. Feb. 12th: Discuss Lit Reviews and Proposals
- *Wed. Feb. 14th: The American Case: Michael Warner
Letters of the Republic, Chapter 2. Harvard University
- week 7. Disintegration Cont'd
- Mon. Feb. 19th: Habermas 141-180.
- #Wed. Feb. 21st: Habermas, 182-235.
- week 8. The/A public, publics, counterpublics and so forth
- week 9. Mid-term Break
- Mon. Mar. 5th: No Class (midterm break)
- Wed. Mar. 7th: No Class (midterm break)
- week 10. Public and Private
- week 11. Modern Social Imaginaries
- Mon. Mar. 19th: Taylor, Chapters 4-7;
- *Wed. Mar. 21st: Taylor, Chapters 8-13
- week 12. Privacy
- week 13. Composing the Public Sphere
- Mon. Apr. 2nd: TBD (Informal discussion of Research projects)
- *Wed. Apr. 4th: TBD
(6th): Spring recess
- week 14. Images and Emotions in Public
- week 15.
- Mon. Apr. 16th: Presentations: Kirsten, Maria
- Mon. Apr. 18th: Presentations: Mark, Ala, Dan
- week 16.
- Mon. Apr. 23rd: Presentations: Stephanie, Amy
- Wed. Apr. 25th: Presentations: Chethana, Nydia, Curt
- Fri. Apr 27th: Final Papers due, 5pm
Last modified: Mon Apr 16 10:49:14 CDT 2007